Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tie Quilt

And. . . I'm still here. Is anyone else??? Sorry. . . Merry Christmas? Happy Holidays? Happy New Year?

I HAVE in fact been sewing and need to post soon, but I've also been working on having my family blog printed into a book and that, my friends, has taken forever. But! I just got it in the mail and it was worth every minute of computer torture. I'll take pictures and show it to you because you should totally make one.
Anyway, the above quilt is NOT mine. In fact, I took a picture of it over a year ago and have been meaning to post about it because I think it's really neat. It was made by a woman in her 80's who's husband passed away and happened to own hundreds of ties. That's right. All of those strips of fabric came from her husbands ties! You can really see the 70's in there! What a fun concept. Not that I have EVER made a quilt, but I certainly appreciate the art/craft of it.

What a fun treasure this quilt will be. Seeing all of the different fabrics and remembering grandpa wearing them. I would like to do something similar, but with cotton shirts of my grandma's maybe?? Or maybe my daughter's baby/toddler clothes if I can stand cutting them at all?

5 comments:

Nickie said...

I have a quit that my great great grandma made with ties.....I LOVE IT! Such a treasure to have. I even have matching pillow shams. She was so talented and all of it was made by hand.

mkamye said...

I still read! I've got you in my Google Reader! I can't wait to see your post about turning your blog into an album.

Hatch Family said...

the tie idea is pretty cool.

ali said...

that is pretty cool!

emily said...

Peter's gma had a tie quilt and it was the kids fave so it was always being used. when it started getting too trashed they turned it into art and had it mounted and it's on the wall behind the couch. I love it!! you should make one!