Wednesday, September 16, 2009

simplicity 2628

I vowed earlier to never sew patterns by Simplicity/Mccalls/Butterrick ever again. They just never turn out right. Well... I lied. I thought this shirt looked like it had potential. And after realistically choosing the right size for my 5 year old (size 3), it turned out alright. I chose fabric that I wouldn't mourn the loss of if the shirt didn't turn out right. I have a thing for corduroy and found this print at Joann's Farics a few years ago (bottom floral). It's all a little 70's prairie looking, but the actual shirt turned out cute, and I think I'll make it again with fabric I love.
Once again, the pattern calls for a zipper up the back. I think that zippers in shirts are weird, so I sewed up to the back leaving an opening. The neck is finished off with bias tape, so I just extended that for a tie. Gotta have a matching head band. BTW - this tutorial for headbands is SO easy! It literally only takes 10 minutes to make start to finish. It would be a great project if you're teaching your child to sew and makes awesome gifts! Add a little flower some buttons, ribbon, rick rack - the possibilities are endless. Plus - the way it's made even I could wear this headband it will stretch out that far.

The verdict: easy pattern. Great for beginners. If I would have made her "size" it would have been huge - so watch that. I'll be making it again I think...

I always wish there were more pictures when people review patterns, so here's some just in case you feel the same way.

4 comments:

ali said...

hm... I've never sewn one of their patterns before, but I am usually looking out for the size discrepancy! Thanks for the warning...

It looks adorable BTW!

Karen said...

Very very cute. I love that fabric combo. And I so agree about zippers up the back of shirts--why do pattern designers have to do that? You NEVER see that in ready to wear. Almost any other closure is better, especially for kids' clothes.

Rebecca said...

Just wondering if you lengthened the size 3 for your daughter - as my daughter is 5 and also fits the 3 for width but the 8 for length?

Liz R. said...

Rebecca... I'm sorry, I can't remember. It's been too long. I guess u could measure the pattern laid out to see how the length might be?? Good luck!